" Frozen Fairytale: Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Lean Ground Beef

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Lean Ground Beef

I enjoy experimenting with recipes and ingredients, so I thought I would make some baked macaroni and cheese with ground beef my way, since I had all the ingredients I needed at home already. Reading from a recipe doesn't always satisfy my inner creativity. Unfortunately I had no garlic or garlic salt. Garlic spoils too quickly in my house, but I would've added an immense amount were I to have it. My husband and I enjoyed my experiment, but if you are someone who does not like the taste of "real" tomatoes, I suggest substituting the can of diced tomatoes for a can of spaghetti sauce. 


Ingredients: 


  • 1lb lean ground beef
  • 2 boxes of Kraft Dinner (I put the seasoning aside for a different day)
  • 1 can of corn (341ml) 
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes (796ml)
  • 200g of Monterey Jack cheese (this is what we had in the house, if I had more I would've put more...lol)
  • 2 medium onions (chopped)
  • 1/4 cup of butter
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • bread crumbs (optional)


Add caption
Step 1: Brown the meat on medium heat and boil your water.
Step 2: While you are browning and boiling, chop your onions.
Step 3: Grate your cheese and put your noodles in the boiling water. Then cook them according to package. (normally 8 minutes)
Step 4: Turn off the heat, then drain your meat. Set aside. Drain noodles and set aside. 
Step 5: Place butter and onions in pot. Brown them. Once browned add tomatoes (don't drain), corn (drain), ground beef and all spices. 
Step 6: While your meat mixture is cooking, layer half the macaroni on bottom of tray. 
Step 7: After meat mixture has cooked for 5-8 minutes spread half evenly onto the macaroni.
Step 8: Layer cheese then thin layer of bread crumbs. 
Step 9: Repeat layering once more. (Macaroni, meat mixture, cheese and bread crumbs.) 
Then place in oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. 






And done! I enjoyed mine with some "Italiano blend seasoning" my husband enjoyed his with ketchup (EW).

3 comments:

  1. Looks yum!!!!


    Stopping by from Blogging Buddies

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites. I could eat it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower from the Network team. I hope you can check out my blog and follow me back
    www.ButterflyInTheAttic.blogspot.com

    Click "My Blog Posts" to view most current post, join now, etc.

    Blessings
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...